The Higher Institute of Engineering was established in 1995 by Ministerial Decree issued by the Ministry of Higher Education No. 1712 on November 22, 1995. The Institute’s headquarters was then (10th of Ramadan City) and the number of the institute’s programs was five academic programs (Communications Engineering - Medical Engineering - Chemical Engineering - Electrical Power and Machines - Architecture).
The Higher Institute of Engineering moved to its new headquarters in the Al-Nakhil suburb of Shorouk City with the start of the second semester of the 1999/2000 academic year after the approval of the Ministry of Higher Education on transportation by Ministerial Resolution No. 712 dated May 31 2000.
The administration of the institute established the Department of Civil Engineering with Ministerial Resolution No. 1437 on 10/9/2000, and the study started with it starting from the 2000/2001 academic year, making the number of scientific departments in the institute number (6) in addition to the Department of Mathematics and Engineering Physics
The institute administration has developed the study list for the various program, and the chemical engineering program included a new division for petroleum chemicals engineering engineering and the regulations were approved by Ministerial Resolution (2381) on 7/4/2019 and work began in the academic year 2019/2020