The Temple of Esna is one of the most important tourist attractions in Esna, and it is the only remaining temple of four temples that were present in Esna, three of them in the northwest of the city. Champollion to him in 1828, who stated that he saw inscriptions bearing the name of King Tuthmosis in this temple.
The temple is located in the heart of the city of Esna, about 55 km south of Luxor. It was called "Latopolis", meaning the city of the white shellfish. King Ptolemy Philomator built the present temple on the ruins of the Temple of King Thutmose III, and construction continued there for 400 years until the late Roman era. The Temple of Esna was dedicated to the worship of the trinity of Khnum, Nit and Manhit. The temple consists of a hall of masters whose roof carries 24 cylinders, and is considered one of the most beautiful halls of the masters in Egypt. The temple is connected to a port on the Nile, whose remains are still visible